Two groups of artistes keep the traditional Bhagavata Mela dance drama legacy alive in the Thanjavur zone of Tamil Nadu.
While one festival is going on, another will unfold from May 17.
This fest is hosted by Melattur Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Jayanthi Bhagavata Mela Natia Nataka Sangam, Melattur, Thanjavur.
To enlarge the fest, dance recitals have been added to the core traditional dance.
This is the 78th year Bhagavata Mela Nataka Mahotsav
Venue: Sri Varadaraja Perumal Sannathi, Melattur on May 17 to 26, 2018.
This is the programme:
May 17 - 7.30 am - Poorvangam at Sri Rudhralayam & Sri Vigneswara Temple
May 18 - 8.15 pm - Nama Sankeertan by Udayalur Kalyanaraman & troupe
May 19 - 7.30 pm - Nadaswaram by Pilliyarpatti T K Saravanan & troupe
- 9.00 pm - Inauguration of mahotsav
- 9.30 pm - Bhagavata Mela Natakam “Prahlada Charitam”
May 20 - 7.00 pm - Bharatanatyam by students of “Bhagavata Mela Natyalaya”, Melattur.
- 7.30 pm - Bharatanatyam by member-artistes of ABHAI, Chennai
May 21 - 7.30 pm - Bharatanatyam by Sneha Sivapriya Venkatesh, USA
- 8.30 pm - Bharatanatyam by Aparna Sharma, Manipal
- 9.30 pm - Bhagavata Mela Natakam “Harischandra-Part 1”
May 22 - 8.00 pm - Kathak by Madhuri Apte, Pune.
- 9.30 pm - Bhagavata Mela Natakam “Harischandra-Part 2”
May 23 - 7.00 pm - Laya Raaga Samarpanam by Sthree Thaal Tharang ( directed by Sukanya Ramgopal)
- 8.30 pm - “Bhama Kalapam” by Sri Kalakrishna, Hyderabad
-10.00 pm - Manipuri Dance & Music by Jawaharlal Nehru Manipur Dance Academy, Imphal.
May 24 - 7.30 pm - Mohiniattam by Rekha Raju.
- 9.30 pm - Bhagavata Mela Natakam “Sri Krishna Jananam-Kamsa Vadham”
May 25 - 9.30 pm - Tamil Opera - Valli Thirumanam
May 26 -7.00 pm - Sri Anjaneya Aradhana - Naamasankeertana by Udayalur Balarama Bhagavatar & troupe and Bhagavata Mela artistes.
Recitals go late into the night. Thanjavur town is a base for those who wish to be at this unique cultural fest.